1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 2cm cubes
3 garlic cloves
Handful of sage leaves
A drizzle of olive oil, plus a little extra
600g fresh spinach
12-15 Profusion Yellow Lentil Lasagne Sheets
125g grated vegan mozzarella
40g pine nuts
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the white sauce
70g plant-based butter
800ml oat milk
250g plant-based cream cheese
50g plant-based parmesan, grated
Grating of nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 200/180C.
2. Add the butternut squash and unpeeled garlic to a roasting dish and top with 4-5 sage leaves, a drizzle of oil and salt and pepper, then toss to coat.
3. Place in the oven to roast for 40 mins, moving the squash around once or twice, until soft and caramelised.
4. Remove the dish from the oven and squeeze the garlic from the skins once cooled. Mash with the squash, leaving a few chunky bits for texture.
5. For the white sauce: Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat and stir in the flour to make a roux. Add a splash of milk, whisking continuously to prevent lumps forming. Keep adding more milk, a little at a time and whisking, until the paste thins to a smooth, creamy sauce and the milk has all been used. Simmer for a further minute, then stir in the plant-based cream cheese and half the plant-based parmesan. Season well and grate in a generous amount of nutmeg.
6. Tip the spinach into a colander and pour over boiling water to wilt. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze the spinach over the colander to remove the water, then season with salt and pepper, and roughly chop.
7. Remove half of the squash mixture from the roasting tin and set aside on a plate. Spread the remaining squash out over the base of the tin or dish you intend to serve the lasagne in. Ladle over about a quarter of the sauce, then top with a single layer of lasagne sheets, snapping them to fill any gaps. Make an even layer of spinach on top of the pasta, and top with another quarter of the sauce, more pasta, squash, sauce, pasta, and finally the remaining white sauce.
8. Sprinkle over the remaining plant-based parmesan, mozzarella and cover with tin foil. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and remove the tin foil. Scatter over the pine nuts and a few sage leaves. Place back in the oven, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.