For the ice cream:
200 g Sweetened condensed coconut milk
400 ml coconut whipping cream (refrigerate can overnight)
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the caramel sauce:
1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
150 g soft light brown sugar
1.2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- For the caramel sauce, place the coconut milk (including water), sugar and vanilla in a pan. Bring to a gentle boil and stir frequently for 20 – 25 minutes.
- After this time, the sauce will have thickened and will be a dark caramel colour. Take it off the heat and stir in the salt. The sauce will still be a little runny but will thicken to the desired consistency as it cools.
- Add the sweetened condensed coconut milk, coconut whipping cream and vanilla extract to a large bowl and whip by hand or on medium strength using an electric whisk for 5 minutes, until it resembles lightly whipped cream.
- Spoon in some of the coconut salted caramel sauce, leaving some for later, and fold it through the mixture using a spatula.
- Transfer the ice-cream mixture to a loaf pan and cover the tin with more parchment paper so that the ice-cream isn’t exposed to the air.
- Place in the freezer to set for 6 hours.
- Serve with more coconut salted caramel sauce.